Tuesday, August 23, 2016

TV: Sean Connery on television as Macbeth

In 1961, Canadian director Paul Almond took a chance and cast a young and not too well known Sean Connery as the lead in his live television production of William Shakespeare’s “Macbeth.”

Almond’s gamble on Connery paid off. Connery, who had little formal training, brought his forceful persona and commanding presence to the role, said Robert Sellers in Don’t Let the Bastards Grind You Down.

Sellers’ book is about the change in acting talent and styles in England in the 1950s when drama schools, theater groups and eventually movies and TV turned to a new crop of actors that included Connery, Peter O’Toole, Albert Finney, Richard Harris, Robert Shaw, and others who went on to become big stars in the 1960s.

Connery was 30 at the time, had done a handful of films and several plays, when he was tapped to star in “Macbeth.” 

The TV play is available on DVD and there is also a version of it on YouTube.

(For more overlooked film and television, check out Todd Mason’s blog.)

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know this. At the time I only ever knew Connery as James Bond. Thanks for bringing this TV play to my notice, Elgin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant - The old TV play is a little creaky, but it is fun to see Connery in his pre-007 days.

      Delete
  2. Elgin--I know I checked your blog last Tuesday...must've been earlier in the day...Tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Todd. This summer has been a busy one and I have not been as active on the blog or in keeping up with other sites. But that will change in another week or so. Thanks for compiling your list and for helping Patti with FFB.

      Delete
  3. I actually watched the Michael Fassbender version the other day with my wife and son. Not something I particularly enjoyed I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete