Friday, October 14, 2016

FFB: Cockfighter by Charles Willeford

Charles Willeford’s brutal 1972 novel, Cockfighter, can be read as an indictment of the sport in which two roosters are pitted against each other in a fight to the death with razor-sharp metal spurs attached to their feet.

Frank Mansfield is a Florida-based bird trainer, handler and gambler who, when we meet him, is fixing a cock fight by handicapping his chicken. I will not say how he is doing this and only note that those first few pages will give any reader a horrifying heads up of what to expect in the rest of the book.

During the tournament season, Frank travels around the southern U.S., entering his birds into matches and betting on the outcomes. While cockfighting is now illegal in all 50 states, when Willeford wrote the novel, it existed in a shadow world, technically illegal, but still a popular sport.

Willeford tells his story in a blunt, matter-of-fact style using Frank as his first-person narrator. But, too much of the book reads like a how-to manual on the care and feeding of gamecocks, peppered with flashes of shocking violence.

The novel also meanders off into Frank’s affair with a wealthy woman and his returning to his hometown to have a quick roll in the hay with a country girl who always hoped to marry him. Those sections are not surprising after reading Willeford’s 1955 novel, Pick-Up, about two dislikable characters. Frank is a pretty dislikable guy, but I will grudgingly say this for him, he is very good at his job.

The blow-by-blow descriptions of the many fights also make Cockfighter a difficult book to get through. But it is the author’s skill, and Willeford (1919-1988) was a very skillful writer, that kept me hanging in there to find out what happened to Frank and his champion rooster in the big, final match.

(To read about other forgotten books, check out Patti Abbott’s blog.)

6 comments:

  1. I have read, and enjoyed some Willeford, but I'd never, never pick up this book, based on the title alone, and cover image. Cock fighting isn't a "sport", any more than bear baiting or pulling wings off flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to read this book. I needed frequent breaks from it.

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty sure I read this one a long time ago. It's not one of my favourites of his. (I still haven't watched the film yet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try some of his Hoke Moseley novels next, and hope they are a bit lighter. And, today I posted a piece about the movie. It was not what I expected.

      Delete
  3. Elgin, having read your review of the film adaptation first, I'm inclined to watch the movie before I decide to read the book. Then again, I might want to read something else by Charles Willeford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant – I would say, try one of his other books. This one is an ordeal.

      Delete